Skip to Content

How to modify a Practising Certificate

There are many reasons why you may need to modify your practising certificate. These include:

  • you may need to handle trust money where your current certificate does not permit it; 
  • you may get a new job with a different type of employer, such as changing from private practice to a corporate role;
  • you may get promoted to partner, or want to set up your own legal practice, and need to take out a principal practising certificate

You can request most modifications to your practising certificate through LSB Online. If we refuse your request, we will explain to you why we have made this decision.

Please use our 'Changing my practising certificate' user guide or watch the video below to help you modify your practising certificate.

You can also view our frequently asked questions on 'Applying for a principal practising certificate' or 'Applying for or renewing a practising certificate'.

Changing my practising certificate type

Use these instructions to change your practising certificate type. For example, you may move from employee to principal, or from a principal to a government type.
Last updated on
* Indicates required field
Back to top