Skip to Content

Going on and returning from extended leave

On this Page

Practitioners going on leave

If you are taking an extended period of leave and are not returning during the current practising year, you may consider surrendering your practising certificate. Surrendering your practising certificate means that you do not have to comply with CPD requirements.

Examples of extended leave are parental leave or long service leave.

You should continue to hold your practising certificate if you are taking a normal period of leave or if you expect to return to practice before the expiration of your current practising certificate.

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Surrendering your practising certificate means that CPD requirements will no longer apply to you.

If you decide to maintain your practising certificate through any period of leave, you must comply with CPD requirements.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to apply to the Law Institute of Victoria for an exemption from complying with your CPD obligations. For more information, visit the Law Institute of Victoria website.

Surrendering your PC

If you wish to surrender your practising certificate, you must notify our office of the date you will cease engaging in legal practice. You’ll need to do this through our lawyer enquiry form.

If you expect to return to practise before the expiration of your current practising certificate, you should not surrender your practising certificate. If you surrender your practising certificate, but then choose to return to legal practice, you will need to reapply for a PC (including paying PC fees).

Not renewing your PC

If you are going on leave or ceasing to practice during the annual renewal period (April – June), you can notify us by completing the ‘Not renewing practising certificate’ section via LSB Online. Not doing this may result in a surcharge when you next apply for a practising certificate.

LSB Online Not Renewing

Practitioners returning from leave

When returning to practice, you must ensure your details are up to date and that you are appropriately licensed. You can do this through LSB Online.

If you surrendered your practising certificate before going on leave, you will need to apply for a new practising certificate via LSB Online. You must ensure that your certificate is issued before you can engage in legal practice again.

If you maintained your practising certificate and are returning within the same practising year, you should check your employment details are up to date through LSB Online. If you are returning to practice with a different employer, you should update your employment details and, if necessary, your practising certificate type.

Last updated on
* Indicates required field
Back to top